»

Friday, April 2, 2010

Savory Vegetable Soup

One of the best wedding gifts we received was a 6.5 quart Crock Pot Countdown Slow Cooker!


Photobucket

I absolutely love this little guy! He has made my life so much easier since I started back to work. Over the last three months, I have tried a dozen crock pot recipes. Jacob has tasted everything from beef stroganoff to chicken tortilla soup. However, this week I managed to hit the jackpot……..vegetable soup. Mom stumbled across this recipe a few months back and was gracious enough to share it with me (and the internet!)

Southern Slow Cooked Vegetable Soup

1 package stew meat
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn, drained
3 cups water
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium onions, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1 package frozen okra (non breaded)
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups egg noodles

We like our food a little spicy so I also added three diced jalapeño’s.

First, I begin by browning the stew meat. In my opinion, this adds extra flavor and is worth the additional clean up. While browning the meat, sprinkle a ½ teaspoon of oregano, a ½ teaspoon of garlic and a dash of salt. After about 3-5 minutes, toss the meat plus the next 8 ingredients into the slow cooker. Add the remaining ½ garlic powder and oregano followed by the four other spices. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. With about an hour of cook time remaining, boil the egg noodles and add to the slow cooker. The recipe usually yields 8 servings; however, it freezes really well!

Photobucket

Our Thursday night dinner spot!

Photobucket

Hope you enjoy the soup as much as we do!

Have a great Easter weekend and I will see you Monday!

2 Comments:

Anonymous

Looks so yummy! I need you to share the recipe for the casserole you brought us because it was delicious!

Our Southern Front Porch

that food pice looks so good and that was realy nice of Jaxob to try them all molly