Since December, J and I have wanted to re-model our sunroom and kitchen. Initially, we had planned to do most the work ourselves; however, as of last Tuesday, we gave up that dream and hired a contractor. In less than a weeks time, these rooms have seen complete demolition! It has been such a beautiful and dusty process!
Over the next few weeks, I plan share the before and after photo's. However, as of today these rooms are only decorated with exposed 2X4's and installation so I thought I might show with you our inspirations!
Our kitchen is a small galley kitchen with a little less than 50 square feet of usable space. As you can tell, we don't have that much room to work with. So we are focusing on change the back splash, the counter tops and floors. And of course a few coats of paint will definately help!
When it came to picking our inspiration, we decided to stick with the cottage feel and are in hopes of creating an open and airy culinary studio!
Directly off from the kitchen is our garage. As you envision this room, please remember that it is a typical 1940's one car garage. Meaning today's car might be able to fit in it, but the chances of the driver being able to exit the car via anything other than a sunroof is non-existent.
Since we are currently using this space for storage, we decided to enclose half of it and convert that half into a laundry/pantry area. Ok so stay with me as I show you the vision..........
First, we will create a small pantry directly off the kitchen. I have marveled over pantries for quite some time now since we have absolutely no storage space in our current kitchen....here are my favorites!
Then the remaining space will be converted into laundry room. You have NO idea how excited I am about an indoor laundry room. Here is a fun story for you....last winter, it was FREEZING in Tulsa. (I have been told it was the coldest winter that anyone can remember.) The moment I realized that something was going to have to change was when I was doing laundry one night and the next morning I descovered the clothes had frozen together ...frozen solid as a ROCK! So yes...excited is an understatement. I won't have to thaw out our laundry anymore!
I only needed to find one picture to know what I wanted. I love everything about this laundry room.
(original source unknown)
Last but certainly not least, the sunroom. This room use to be the outside patio until the previous owners closed it in. By adding new walls, french doors, wood floors and a few built-ins, we are converting this once closed in outdoor patio into a much needed study!
It is me! My childhood friend (who now lives in Tulsa! YEAH!) and fellow blogger, Tiffany just awarded me with "The Versatile Blogger" award.
Upon receiving this award, the awardee must follow several rules.
1. Link to the person who gave you this award.
2. Post 7 random facts about yourself.
3. Pass the award along to bloggers who you think are fantastic!
4. Contact the bloggers you’ve picked and let them know they have received the award.
So first, I would like to thank Tiffany from "Luv'n This Life" for passing on this fun award and continuing to read Our Southern Front Porch! Just so everyone knows, Tiffany is one of the main reasons I started blogging. I have always enjoyed reading her blog and it inspired me to follow suit!
Next I want to share my 7 random facts........
1. I talk to my mom at LEAST 3 times a day. Last month, we had approximately 1,700 minutes of talk time.
2. I make up words....a lot. The one word that has stuck around the longest for me and my family is the word "vacenta". In case you would like to us it, this word is the singular form of vicinity. 10 years later, my family is still loving that one!
3. I always wear my hair in a bun to work. The random fact is the reason I wear it in a bun....it is because it takes to long to dry in the morning. 9 times out of 10 when I get home from work, it is still wet!
4. I really like being called "Al" or by my last name. When I hear my full name I think I am in trouble.
5. I bit my cuticles. I know it is disgusting, but I can't help it!
6. I hate watermelon!
7. Finally, my favorite people to EVER work with are these two goons you see below! My random fact is that beside my husband, these two make me laugh harder than anyone I know. As a result of their shenanigans, I have had my drink come out of my nose so many times that I have lost count! Between one driving a yellow Volkswagen Beetle and one having a second career as a survival expert, there is NEVER a dull moment. Even though I am in Tulsa and I do not get to work with them everyday, they still entertain me daily! Thank goodness for emails and "important" conference calls!
Two weeks ago, J and I went to Atlanta to visit my brother, sister-n-law (I hate using that term because she is really like a sister.....but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea since we are from Alabama and all!?!?!) and two beautiful nieces! We ate an abundance of great food, talked for hours and experienced some much needed quality family time! With all the fun, I forgot to drag my camera out.....but I was able to capture a few classic moments!
L ready for the pool....
My sweet MP....
Yep....got a little water up there....
my beautiful sister-n-law, SP....
Nothing finishes off a trip to the pool like Brusters!
And we ended the night with Family Game Night!
Plotting their next move....
........which turned out to be a really bad decision!
Here we see J sulking and L loving on him!
Our family photo (minus mom and dad of course)!
We had a great weekend! We love you guys so much and cannot wait to see you soon!
I am a Southern woman who was born and raised in Alabama but is currently living in Oklahoma. I love my Lord, husband, family, friends, dog, the South and Auburn Football. I am not a good writer but felt I should jump on the blogging wagon before I was left behind. I hope you enjoy the view from our Southern front porch!