»

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Laundry Mats......aren't what they use to be!

I have to be honest, this is my first bout with professional home renovation. While it has gone relatively smooth, there have been a few bumps along the way.  I have heard many stories of how homes are out of commission for weeks while work is being done. But those stories never carried much weight until I actually experienced the frustration (otherwise known as delays) for myself.  

Please don't misunderstand......this project has been fun!  I mean....like Christmas morning anticipation type fun!  But it is on those quiet evenings when the workers are gone and the crickets are chirping that there is a slight resemblance of disappointment when you find yourself filling your Brita water pitcher up for the third week in the same room that is designed showers.

So that brings us to this story....the story of the Laundry Mat (or apparently everyone outside of the South including wikipedia and my husband say Laundromat).  Currently, the washer and dryer are among the appliances that are out of order.  So after three weeks of "laundry vacation"....it was time.  We toyed with the idea of going to a family members house, but decided that we needed access to multiple washers and dryers in order to make progress in our ever growing clothing heap.  So last Thursday night, we ventured out......

For those of you who are considering visiting a laundry mat in the future, please consider the following:

1. They are now coinless!  The one place that use to take those pesky little quarters now only except credit cards or bills (greater than $20 ONLY???).  So to answer your question....no, we didn't know this fact upon arriving and yes, I was lugging around a zip lock bag of approximately 80 quarters!

 2.  These places are busy (even late at night)!  Which translates to....you might be forced to aggressively tell others you were there first.  (and this is likely the look you will get from your husband who just sits there and laughs).


3. They are equipped with small arcades, t.v.'s and wireless!


4. And finally, inflation has officially reached all areas of our modern world.  Since it now cost $1.60 for one load of laundry and $1.00 for 30 minutes in the dryer, I understand now why our forefathers preferred the air dry method!


The world of freshly laundered clothes sure has changed (ALOT) from my college days!


2 Comments:

Anonymous

It is for sure called a laundry mat. And I love your pics!

Mary Q Contrarie

I air dry every thing on clothes drying rack. I find that it saves my family of four 6% off my utility bill. There are very few other things that I can do that costs so little that will give me that type of return on my investment.