»

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Italy Escape - Part 1

One week later, the laundry is finally done, the pictures are uploaded, and our clothes are to tight.  Yep, Jacob and I successfully put on 9 and 5 pounds, respectively.  What can I say, we love pasta!  Now that life has resumed, I think it is the PERFECT time to re-live our adventure.........

Packed and ready to go! 

Photobucket

Before we go any further, I need to tell you all something....that red backpack was not just a carry on!  It WAS my luggage for 14 days.  This may not seem like a big deal, BUT if you know me....well then you understand.  Below I have included a picture of what I managed to fit into my "suitcase."  Please note I wore something different everyday (excluding my jeans which will make a debut in multiple pictures) AND had three shirts left over!  Go ahead say you don't believe me....it is ok....I even had U.S. Customs tell me there was no way.  But I assure you, I got it all to fit!

Photobucket

We were a little concerned about our flight being delayed after the volcano decided to start spitting ash on the Saturday before our Sunday flight. However, after only a 3 hour delay, our plane was cleared for departure!
Finally, we were Italy Bound!

Photobucket

Photobucket

27 hours later...........WE MADE IT! Our first stop in Italy was Venice. 
Photobucket

Ok, so my backpack got a little heavy, and my darling husband carried it for me.  (But this was the only time in the trip he had to help me!)  We had a tab bit of trouble finding our hotel which was buried on a quaint little canal street.  But after several "Mi scusi, potete aiutarmi trovare l'Hotel San grigio?", we found a nice man that lead us straight to the front door.  29 and a half hours after take off, we were able to change clothes.

Photobucket

It may have taken 2 and a half hours to find our hotel, but we had an amazing view while searching.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Day 2 - After a nice breakfast, it was time to explore.

 First stop, the Grand Canal and Rialto Bridge.  We found a nice little dive coffee bar and enjoyed the first of MANY cappuccino's while we people watched.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we skipped over to the market.....

Photobucket

to see all the fresh produce and.........

Photobucket

fresh fish (or shark).

Photobucket

Then, we got lost!  We literally threw away our map and started walking.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We then stopped for lunch and decided to be brave and try the local seafood.
Photobucket

Yes, baby octopus was included in this fine fare. This was the first and last bite.........

Photobucket

Next up, Piazza San Marco

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A few hours later, as we head to dinner we stop for a photo op......
Photobucket

Four hours later.........Piazza San Marco was flooded!  Take note of the picture above...no rain and the sun is shining.  A little water made all the canals overflow....Venice really is sinking!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After a full day of sight seeing, we headed back to the hotel (with gelato in hand) and packed our bags! 

Next stop, Cinque Terra!

3 Comments:

Mom

Absolutely beautiful, can't wait for more. Next time I will take Jacob up on his invitation.

Erica

How beautiful! Can't wait for more pictures!!

Anonymous

I love all your pictures! Can't wait to see more. And I can't believe you fit all of that in the backpack! I'm impressed! Hope to see you guys soon! Let me know when you are all rested up and have a weekend free!