»

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sewing Project - Take One

Well.....I did it! Not the best sewing job known to man. But I DID IT! (I would like to pause and thank my mom for coaching me through this project....Big thanks mom!).

Over the past month, I have been in search of outdoor pillows for our front porch bench. However, I could not justify paying $32 for one pillow. This decision lead me to option B....make them. So this weekend that is just what I did…..the sewing extravaganza that will now become a hobby has commenced!

Photobucket

Now for all you seamstress out there (Mrs. Sue and Tiffany :), I know this does not seem like a big deal....but I have two left feet (or in sewing terms maybe it is left hands) when it comes to sewing. 

Since this is my first sewing gig (second is coming up....curtians!), I borrowed my sister-n-laws sewing machine. 

Photobucket

After a quick trip to Hancocks, we had our materials and began taking measurements.....

Photobucket

My sweet mom was in town this pas weekend and helped me with my project.  She shared some of her sewing tricks!  My favorite.....to make sure you start off with straight lines, pick one thread and pull it out of the fabric.  This will give you a straight line to use as a guide when cutting.

Photobucket

Nice straight line.....
Photobucket

to use as my guide for cutting.......

Photobucket

Look who managed to cut straight lines......

Photobucket

The assembly process........

Photobucket

Voila!  and yes I woke Jacob up to show him the finished product.

Photobucket

As a side note....mom and I also re-finished the bench above.  I will share these pictures soon!

3 days, 3 hours and 45 minutes!

1 Comments:

Anonymous

They look awesome! You did a great job! That is a neat trick about pulling a thread out -- you can also just rip it and it will tear in a straight line too.

I'm no streamstress but it is fun isn't it? =)