»

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Grinch(es) that ALMOST stole Christmas!

You see that lovely tree?


Yes, the 35-foot tall Norwegian Spruce that is erected every December in the middle of downtown Birmingham, Alabama?


Well, a couple of copper thieves decided to torch it yesterday!


They decided to set the tree on fire with gasoline in order to separate the copper wire from the Christmas lights plastic casing.  It is estimated that the wire stolen was worth less than $20.

Photobucket

The city said they would not replace the tree.


BUT the story doesn't stop there............

In less than 24 hours, the community pulled together and replaced the $7,500 Christmas tree!

Photobucket

The tree was dedicated this morning while local elementary students hung ornaments!

Photobucket

Now, that is what I call the true spirit of Christmas!


2 Comments:

Wiz

That is AWFUL!! So glad the tree was replaced. I love the picture of you two in front of the tree and I love your sweet Christmas card!!

Susan

Shut up! Nothing bad ever happens in Birmingham! At least that's the way I remember it (and the way I tell my husband it is)!